The birthday party of a good friend brought me to Copenhagen for a weekend visit last month. The party itself took place at my friend’s fantastic photo studios “The Lab”. In every good party, the culinary part is important, and in this case it was a true pleasure. I was full with admiration for the chef Isa Jacob Kristiansen, who with such peaceful and confident way created the delicacies we enjoyed.
With his permission I would like to share his extraordinary version of chocolate mousse.
- Chocolate Mousse
- Recipe for 8 people
- 115 g 70% chocolate
- 30 g unsalted butter
- 4 tbsp dark rum
- 2 tsp instant coffee
- 150 g caster sugar
- 4 egg yolk
- 4 eggwhites
- 250 ml cream
- Melt chocolate, butter and rum in a bowl placed over a pot of hot water.
- When completely homogenous, set aside to cool.
- In a bowl placed over a pot of hot water, thicken the egg yolks with instant coffee and 1/3 of the sugar. approx 75°C.
- Whisk egg whites with 2/3 of the sugar, until sugar is dissolved and it feels like an italian merengue.
- Mix everything together slowly without whisking.
- Whisk the cream, and mix with the mixture. Again slowly. Set aside to cool for at least 4 hours.